大连穿越者户外论坛's Archiver

高三师 发表于 2006-9-18 09:52

[转帖]Granite Gear Vapor Trail 3600 Backpack

<P>转自:<a href="http://www.backpackgeartest.org" target="_blank" >http://www.backpackgeartest.org</A>      作者:Andrew Mytys</P>
<P>Reviewed By: Andrew Mytys
Email: amytys (at) backpacker (dot) com
Date Published: March 3, 2003
Update History: None </P>

<P>Product Information: Manufacturer: Granite Gear (<a href="http://www.granitegear.com" target="_blank" >http://www.granitegear.com</A>)
Item: Vapor Trail 3600 Backpack
Year of manufacture: 2002
MSRP: $145 (all sizes)
Listed Weight: 2lbs (0.9 kg)
Weight as delivered: 2lbs, 1oz (0.9 kg)
Rated load capacity: 30lbs (13.6 kg)
</P>
<P>
Note that the information in this Long-Term Field Test Report of the Granite Gear Vapor Trail backpack is to be taken in addition to my previously published Initial Review and Field Test. </P>
<P>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------</P>
<P>New Observations: </P>
<P>During the last four months of my test period, I have used the Granite Gear Vapor Trail primarily for winter day-hikes - either from my car or from a base-camp while on multi-day trips. As the terrain was covered with snow, I could not continue to test the pack's material in terms of abrasiveness. On the other hand, I was able to gain new experiences with the Vapor Trail that were not included in either of my previous reports. </P>
<P>To begin with, packing the Vapor Trail for day-hiking, even with the additional gear required during the winter season, never had me utilizing the full capacity of the pack. I found myself cinching down the load using the side, rear, and top compression straps. The compression straps did a good job of keeping the pack adjusted around my gear in a nice, tight, package, even when using just a fraction of the pack's available space. When used in this fashion, I found the Vapor Trail to be a comfortable carry. </P>
<P>I also continued to use my 2-liter Platypus Big Zip Hoser during my winter excursions, even when temperatures barely made it into the teens (-8 C). As in earlier tests, I placed the reservoir in the space between the pack and the framesheet. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this space provided enough insulation to keep my water from freezing. In fact, placing a "key-ring" analog thermometer into this area showed the temperature maintained within to be about 20-degrees (11 C) warmer than the air temperature around me. Of course I still had to insulate the drinking tube itself, using an optional accessory sold for the Platypus that is designed especially for such conditions. Thinking back to my early experiences with the Vapor Trail, I can safely say that, in the warmer months, this space also serves as a refuge from the heat and sun. </P>

<P>
Comfort: </P>
<P>Simply put, the Vapor Trail is the most comfortable pack I've ever hiked in. This is really an amazing statement, considering that this pack only weighs 2 lbs (0.9 kg) and lacks suspension features such as struts, stays, ferrules, suspension rods, head-rails, etc. The engineers over at Granite Gear should be congratulated on a job well done... and move onto something else. Really! The pack causes no discomfort whatsoever, even after exceeding the rated carrying capacity by 30%, hiking for 20+ miles in a single day, and leaving the pack on during most rest breaks. With the exception of looking into materials that would perform equally, yet weigh less, I say "hands off the suspension". </P>
<P>
Not only does the pack feel good in terms of padding, but the "S" shape of the shoulder straps makes them comfortable when worn in a number of positions. Using the pack's sternum strap to regulate the tension between the shoulder straps and adjust their placement, I've worn the straps close to my neck, on the tips of my shoulders, and everywhere in between. The straps felt comfortable in all positions and, using the sternum strap, I was able to simply adjust the shoulder strap positioning as I hiked, keeping my shoulders completely free from fatigue. </P>
<P>I also can't say enough about the padding, padding, and padding that this pack comes with. There is a massive amount of padding on the hipbelt and back panel, more than I've seen on packs weighing up to 4-times as much. On one occasion, I even forgot to secure the hip belt when putting the pack on after a lunch break. The pack was so comfortable that I didn't even notice until after a few miles of trail had been hiked. Ultralighters take note - if you're carrying less than 25-pounds in the Vapor Trail, just leave the hipbelt at home and save yourself another 6 ounces (170 g) of weight. </P>

<P>
Size/"Packability": </P>
<P> The BGT Lab measured the Vapor Trail's volume and came up with a rating of 2571 cu/in (42 l) for the main body and another 1307 cu/in (21 l) of capacity in the extension collar, filled to a point where the collar can still be cinched closed. While this seems like an ample amount of room, remember that the pack does not have a top pocket. While you could pack a lot of gear into the collar, doing so would result in an additional 14 inches (35 cm) of height to the pack, above the top of the shoulder straps. </P>
<P>Granted, there is a top center compression strap, in addition to a side-to-side compression strap, that can be used to press the load down and gain some stability. However, the length of these compression straps is such that you can only use about half of the extension collar. Any more and the straps will not reach around the load. So, in terms of "useable" volume, the collar is good for about 650 cu/in (10.5 l). This puts the pack's usable volume at about 3231 cu/in (52.5 l). </P>
<P>Those really needing space can use the extension collar to its maximum volume, however doing so leads to a few problems. As the extension collar is simply cinched closed, the contents of the pack would be exposed to the elements. Also, a fully packed extension collar makes for a pack that sits 6 to 8 inches (15-20 cm) above the height of the wearer. So, you would have to take into consideration your newfound height when moving down a poorly maintained trail, or one that had low-hanging branches above you. Finally, depending on what's packed in the collar area, the pack is either slightly or very unstable and tends to list from side to side. You can see these concerns outlined in the photo. The extension collar is so pronounced that it looks like I have one pack piggy-backed on top of another. </P>
<P>By using only half of this extension collar, you can close the pack by cinching the main opening closed and rolling down the unused portion of the collar in a drybag fashion, then securing it with the two top-side compression straps that will now, just barely, connect around the half-used pack extension. Using the extension collar in this manner will protect the pack contents from the elements. It will also keep the top of the pack below the top of your head, and the fastened top-side compression straps will keep the top of the pack from listing to one side or another. </P>
<P>It must be stressed that this is not a large pack. The numbers as presented can be deceptive. Certainly, this pack could be used for weeklong outings, but, without resupply, it would take a true "Ultralight" backpacker to pull such a task off. Customers who are true minimalists, those who find themselves hitting the trail with a quilt, tarp, and a stove that nests in a small cooking pot, will have few issues with the Vapor Trail. </P>
<P>When using the Vapor Trail for multi-day trips, I didn't necessarily have to think like an "Ultralight" backpacker in terms of pack weight - the suspension certainly kept me happy at even 40 lbs (18 kg). However, I did need to make sure my gear did not take excessive amounts of space in the pack. </P>
<P>I've been able to get away with using this pack for 5-days, without resupply, and was able to pack a tent, camera outfit, and tripod to boot. I did this by strapping the tent under the rear compression straps, and had the camera bag strapped to the top of the pack until I had consumed a few days of food. However, I carried no extra clothing with me, save for a poncho, an insulating fleece layer, a change of socks, hat, gloves, and some Capilene leggings. On top of this, my sleeping bag was of the sort that could be compressed into a Nalgene bottle. I also used a Therm-A-Rest Ultralight 3/4 length sleeping pad - while not a weight savings, it was a huge savings in terms of pack space, especially when compared to a closed-foam pad such as a RidgeRest. </P>
<P>If I had to pack a synthetic based sleeping bag, a canister stove, a closed-foam sleeping pad, or simply wasn't versed in lightweight backpacking, there's no way I could get away with using this pack for more than a weekend jaunt. Even for a weekend, I could be pushing it. </P>

<P>
Convenience: </P>
<P>The Vapor Trail is designed to hold all your gear in the one large pocket. Yes, there are two additional side pockets on this pack. However, if you pack the inside of the Vapor Trail to capacity, the pack will stretch out and render the side pockets useless. It would be a vast improvement to the design of this pack if the bottoms of these side pockets were sewn out from the pack so that, even if the main pack was busting at the seams, you could still count on having two external pockets that extended an inch (25 mm) or so to the outside of the pack. Implemented correctly, these pockets could hold anything from wide-mouth Nalgene bottles to tent poles. Today, you can fit these items into the side pockets, but only if the main pack isn't filled to capacity. </P>
<P>This pack also comes with left and right side compression straps, as well as compression straps in the front of the pack. What's interesting is that the side compression straps have their ends finished with a fold on the end, so that they can't be fed completely through the corresponding ladderlock and swing free, while the front compression straps do not have this fold, and can be easily freed. I found that I liked the ability to free my compression straps. I used a stuff sack with an integrated daisy-chain as additional storage and, because I could loosen the front compression straps entirely, I could feed these over my stuff sack, through the daisy-chains, and secure them to the adjoining ladderlock buckle. I never did have an issue with these straps coming loose in the least bit and thus have no worries with losing gear that's connected to these straps, so long as the main pack itself is packed to near capacity. </P>

<P>
Features: </P>
<P>The Vapor Trail really doesn't have any "features". Outside of the bare minimum characteristics that make up a backpack - a sack with two shoulder straps attached - this pack comes with a removable hipbelt, load lifters, a "D-Ring" on each shoulder strap, delta straps, hand loops, side, rear, and top compression straps, a pack haul loop, sternum strap, and two side pockets. </P>
<P>It is because of this lack of features that Granite Gear was able to bring the Vapor Trail to market weighing in at 2 lbs (0.9 kg). Any features added would have to stay true to this weight, otherwise the pack would risk falling into a different market segment altogether. </P>
<P>This said, I think that Granite Gear could improve on the design of the side pockets as I listed in the "Convenience" area, without changing the weight of the pack itself. In fact, if the spandex-like material used today were changed to a heavy-duty mesh, pack weight would come down. This savings could be used to construct a vertical pocket behind the rear compression straps. Such a pocket, dovetailed with more "usable" side pockets, would go a long way in addressing the space concerns I have with the Vapor Trail. I could see the usable volume of this pack going up by 400 cu/in (6.5 l).
</P>

高三师 发表于 2006-9-18 09:52

<P>Durability: </P><P>Many lightweight products on the market today make it a point of letting the consumer know that, because they are made with lighter-weight materials, they will not stand up to the same levels of abuse as their heavyweight cousins. In short, durability is sacrificed for the benefit of lightweight use. </P><P>In terms of the Vapor Trail, I found the durability of the pack to be a mixed bag. </P><P>I can't say enough good things about the stitching on this pack. I've pushed the limits of the Vapor Trail well beyond its rated capacity, and have hardly been careful about weight distribution when handling the pack. I'd pick it up by a single shoulder strap or whatever was close at hand, and never heard so much as a creak from the stitching. </P><P>In terms of the material used in the pack's construction, the majority of this pack is made of a very thin ripstop material and should be treated accordingly. If I packed rough, pointy, or sharp edged gear along the edge of the pack's material and really packed the Vapor Trail to its maximum capacity, I would cut through the material. An unsheathed camp-axe or poorly positioned crampon would be devastating to this pack - this is not a 7lb (3 kg), 1000 denier Cordura pack and should not be expected to have equivalent strengths. </P><P>Over the course of my testing, I don't feel that I held my breath around this pack in the least. I simply used my head and made sure there was nothing pressed along the edges of this pack that could potentially puncture the material. For the most part, after withstanding hundreds of trail miles, the pack still looks like new. </P><P>This said, I did find disappointment with the material used in the base of the pack - I had a wear spot show up on the bottom of my pack during the first 40 miles (65 km) of use, to the point of being able to see light coming through a nickel-sized area when looking down into the inside of the pack. A hole has begun to form. </P><P>What really upsets me is that I can't, through normal, if not slightly abusive use get this pack to fail from a durability and material standpoint in any other place. All it would take would be a 500 or 1000 grade denier Cordura, or perhaps a spectra-reinforced material used in the base of the Vapor Trail, and this pack would last a lifetime. Upgrading the material used in the base of this pack would hardly affect the product weight at all. As it stands, I am extremely disappointed that this otherwise capable pack has such a weak Achilles Heel. </P><P>As I wrote in my Field Test, I feel that the damage incurred to the bottom of my pack is due to coming into contact with abrasive sandstone while on the trail. The wear at the pack's base hasn't gotten any worse, and I haven't shielded this area in any way from the abuse of the trail. Granite, sand, dirt, roots, snow, mud, etc. have come into contact with the base of this pack since its initial failure. I feel that, in most cases, the material used for the base of the Vapor Trail is sufficient for long-term use. However, that at least one individual who has logged lots of miles with this pack (me) has encountered a failure due to rough terrain. If you find yourself in similar conditions, I would encourage you to take appropriate precautions. </P><P>I also had issues with the cord used to cinch the top of the pack closed. On my second hike with the Vapor Trail, the cord-lock snagged the cord while I opened the top of the pack. The snag occurred near the base of the closure, but I had already pulled the lock more than halfway up the draw-cord by the time I noticed. This snag caused the cord to bunch up, like a "pigtail", and the resulting knot prevented me from being able to open the pack. It took me a few minutes to wrestle the knot loose with my hands. </P><P>I believe that this is one of those issues that will happen to everyone, given enough time in the backcountry. The material used for this cinch-cord is the same as that on most packs, in addition to almost all ditty and stuff sacks found on the market today. Perhaps I simply received a faulty cord-lock? In any event, I don't feel that the snagging problems I had with my pack are of major concern. I am confident that the issue could be quickly taken care of by either the manufacturer's warranty, or a simple at-home repair by the owner themselves. I plan on replacing this cord with something more rope-like in the near future - maybe I'll use something similar to tent guy-line. </P><P>Potential customers should also keep in mind the thin material surrounding the padding on the shoulder straps. I don't see anything wrong with using this material... this is not an area that really gets a lot of stress. However, customers accustomed to clipping the drinking tube of their hydration systems to the nylon strapping around a shoulder strap will need to find a new spot to clip, or risk puncturing this area of the pack. </P><P>
Likes: </P><P>The Vapor Trail is an extremely comfortably fitting backpack, with generous amounts of padding and a top-notch suspension.
Rear compression straps can be removed from the ladderlocks, enabling compatibility with stuff sack daisy-chains.
Solid stitching in high-stress areas. </P><P>Recommendations for Improvement: </P><P>The material used in the construction of the bottom of the pack should be upgrade to something more resistant to abrasions.
Side pockets could be designed with a 1 inch (25 mm) lip extending away from the pack so that, when the main compartment is fully packed, they will still be of use.
A rear pocket could be implemented vertically behind the existing compression straps. </P><P>Parting Thoughts: </P><P>As the time approaches to start testing a new pack, I know I'm going to miss the Vapor Trail. This pack was so comfortable that I'll be fighting myself for a while as I reach for new packs to take out into the backcountry. Do I really have to take my test pack on every outing? The Vapor Trail is so comfortable, why would I want to use anything else for weekend hikes into the backcountry? So goes the life of a BGT tester. </P><P>I'd like to thank the staff of BackpackGearTest.org for selecting me to participate in testing the Vapor Trail, and Granite Gear for supporting the goals of BGT and our readers. </P><P>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------</P><P>
Personal Biographical Information: Reviewer: Andrew Mytys
Email: amytys (at) backpacker (dot) com
Homepage: Andy's Lightweight Backpacking Site
Height: 6'1" (183 cm)
Torso Length: 21" (53 cm)
Weight: 165lbs (75 kg)
</P><P>
     Backpacking Background:</P><P>
I live in Michigan and have been hiking seriously for 15 years, although I've camped since I was 6 years old. I consider myself a lightweight hiker, meaning that I carry the lightest gear I can find that meets two simple deliverables - providing a comfortable wilderness experience and adequately supporting the goals of my trip. Unless my goals are time/distance oriented, my pace is always slow. I rarely exceed 1.5 miles (2.4 km)/hour. I rest frequently, hike long days, and enjoy whatever nature throws my way.
</P>

bear 发表于 2006-9-18 10:21

<P>看着眼晕,但是还是要大吼一声:顶你个肺诶.不能翻译一下嘛</P>[em01]

米粒儿 发表于 2006-9-18 12:06

<P break-all; LINE-HEIGHT: 12pt"><FONT face=宋体 size=3>时间关系,简短地总结一下。请批评指正。</FONT></P><P break-all; LINE-HEIGHT: 12pt"><FONT face=宋体 size=3>评测人</FONT><FONT face=宋体><FONT size=3>: Andrew Mytys
发布日期:</FONT></FONT><FONT face=宋体><FONT size=3> <st1:chsdate w:st="on" IsROCDate="False" IsLunarDate="False" Day="3" Month="3" Year="2003">03年3月3日</st1:chsdate>
无更新<p></p></FONT></FONT></P><P break-all; LINE-HEIGHT: 12pt"><FONT face=宋体 size=3>生产商</FONT><FONT face=宋体 size=3> Granite Gear (</FONT><a href="http://www.granitegear.com/" target="_blank" ><FONT face=宋体 color=#000000 size=3>http://www.granitegear.com</FONT></A><FONT face=宋体 size=3>)
</FONT><FONT face=宋体 size=3>项目: Vapor Trail 3600 背包</FONT>
<FONT face=宋体 size=3>生产年份</FONT><FONT face=宋体><FONT size=3>: 2002
MSRP: $145 (含所有尺寸</FONT></FONT><FONT face=宋体><FONT size=3>)
标称重量</FONT></FONT><FONT face=宋体><FONT size=3>: <st1:chmetcnv w:st="on" TCSC="0" NumberType="1" Negative="False" HasSpace="True" SourceValue=".9" UnitName="kg">0.9 kg</st1:chmetcnv>
运输重量<st1:chmetcnv w:st="on" TCSC="0" NumberType="1" Negative="False" HasSpace="True" SourceValue=".9" UnitName="kg">0.9 kg</st1:chmetcnv></FONT></FONT><FONT face=宋体><FONT size=3>)
额定负重: <st1:chmetcnv w:st="on" TCSC="0" NumberType="1" Negative="False" HasSpace="True" SourceValue="13.6" UnitName="kg">13.6 kg</st1:chmetcnv> <p></p></FONT></FONT></P><P break-all; LINE-HEIGHT: 12pt"><FONT face=宋体><FONT size=3>请注意此报告为前期发布的VAPOR TRAIL背包长期评测报告的后续。<p></p></FONT></FONT></P><P break-all; LINE-HEIGHT: 12pt"><FONT face=宋体><FONT size=3>新发现: <p></p></FONT></FONT></P><P break-all; LINE-HEIGHT: 12pt"><FONT face=宋体 size=3>最近四个月的试验,主要形式为从车或营地出发的冬季日间徒步。因为地面被积雪覆盖,无法再继续背包材料的耐磨试验。另一方面,却获得了VAPOR TRAIL先前报告中没有过的体验。</FONT></P><FONT face=宋体><P break-all; LINE-HEIGHT: 12pt"><FONT size=3>使用侧面,背面和顶部的收束带,可以把背包打得漂亮结实,既使只装容量一部分也是如此。<p></p></FONT></P><p><P 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT size=3>使用<st1:chmetcnv w:st="on" TCSC="0" NumberType="1" Negative="False" HasSpace="False" SourceValue="2" UnitName="升"><FONT face="Times New Roman">2</FONT>升</st1:chmetcnv><FONT face="Times New Roman">Platypus Big Zip </FONT>水袋,在<FONT face="Times New Roman">-8</FONT>度水袋在水袋仓中不冻。水袋仓约比环境温度高<FONT face="Times New Roman">11</FONT>度,但水管需另外保温。由此可推断,水袋仓热天也可隔热。</FONT></P><P 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT size=3></FONT> </P><P 0cm 0cm 0pt"><FONT size=3>待续</FONT></P></p></FONT>

页: [1]